Mill built in Aberystwyth from which the profits were used to maintain the port and the bridge.
There is known to be a chapel in Aberystwyth at this time - probably the one known as 'St Mary' which stood by the beach, in-front of 'Castle House' and was washed away by the sea around 1650.
The Act of Union. Henry VIII, brings Wales into full union with England, which forced the English language into all official state institutions in Wales.
Spanish conquistadors bring potates to Europe from Peru
The right of electing representatives to parliament was granted to Welsh counties and boroughs
Cardigan, as the county town, alone possessed the right to elect members to the House of Commons. Shortly afterwards, the right of the election was granted to all boroughs which contributed to the remuneration of the member.
From Cairdigan to Aberustwith a Market Toun ons waullid *xxx
From Aberustwith to Averdeuy vi. Miles Deuy devidith Cairdigan from Merionithshire in North Wales.
Dominican friars bring a sample of cocoa to Europe from Guatemala
A collection of religious texts, entitled 'Yny Llyvyr Hwnn' (In This Book) published by Sir John Price (John Prys of Brecon), was the very first book published in the Welsh language.
In more peaceful times the castle became run down but:
At Aberistwth is a castell of the King's decayed but the hall remeyneth yet covered in leade
The size of the 'town' is reported as being just 75 houses
Oxford Universities first Protestant foundation, Jesus College, was founded by Dr. Hugh Price of Brecon to cater to the needs of Welshmen anxious to continue their education.
A bright new star emerges, and for a few days is bright enough to be seen in daytime. Over the first couple of months its change in brightness and colour were easy to observe, and even though it started to fade, it was visible to the naked eye for a couple of years. This supernova explosion contradicted Aristotle's idea that the stars were 'unchangeable'.
The question was raised by the Crown whether the inhabitants possessed the right to grind without the consent of the Crown official and payment of a toll. In 1573 an important trial took place at Hereford, between the Queen and the inhabitants of Aberystwyth, in which the Crown succeeded in establishing its right to the Mill. Since then it was called 'Our Lady's Mill' or 'The Mill of our Lady Queen Elizabeth'
Aloysius Lilius, living in what is now Italy, devised the Gregorian calendar to correct for the slight drift of the Julian calendar from the seasons. He removed 10 days to re-synchronise the calendar and tweaked the rules for leap years so that the average length of year was 365.2425 days which is more accurate than the 365.25 days of the Julian calendar. (It would not be until 1752 that Britain adopted the Gregorian calendar)
The Crown leased the Mill with all its rights to a member of the Pryse family (of Gogerddan) for 40 years at the annual rent of £3. After the lease, Mr Pryse's consent had to be obtained for grinding at the Mill , and the tolls were paid to him. Subsequently, the Crown disposed of the Mill to Mr Pryse and his heirs for ever, subject to the annual payment of £3